Backwoods Gorilla Safaris: Embracing Sustainability for a Thriving Future
At Backwoods Gorilla Safaris, we are committed to offering extraordinary and responsible wildlife experiences while ensuring the preservation of natural habitats and the protection of endangered gorilla populations. Our vision is to create a sustainable and ethical safari company that not only provides unforgettable encounters with these majestic creatures but also actively contributes to their conservation and the well-being of local communities. In this sustainability write-up, we outline our key initiatives and practices that reflect our commitment to a thriving future:
- Conservation-Centric Approach: The core of our sustainability efforts lies in our dedication to conservation. We are working to collaborate closely with renowned wildlife experts, researchers, and conservation organizations to ensure that our safari activities have a positive impact on gorilla populations and their habitats. By staying updated with the latest findings and adhering to best practices, we minimize our environmental footprint and promote responsible wildlife tourism.
- Ethical Wildlife Encounters: We believe in ethical tourism practices that prioritize the well-being of the gorillas. Our trained guides and naturalists follow strict guidelines to maintain a safe distance from the animals, minimizing stress and disturbance. We follow UWA guidelines by limitting the number of visitors in each group to avoid overwhelming the gorillas, thereby ensuring their natural behaviors and daily routines remain undisturbed.
- Support for Local Communities: We recognize the significance of local communities in the conservation efforts and strive to create a positive impact on their lives. We prioritize hiring local staff from nearby villages and engage in community development projects. By fostering strong partnerships with local stakeholders, we aim to empower communities and foster a sense of ownership towards gorilla conservation.
- Eco-friendly Safari Operations: Reducing our ecological footprint is a priority for Backwoods Gorilla Safaris. We employ eco-friendly practices throughout our operations, such as using well serviced powered vehicles for safaris, minimizing waste generation, and implementing recycling programs. We also collaborate with eco-lodges and camps that share our sustainability values, ensuring our guests enjoy a responsible and eco-conscious experience.
- Environmental Education and Awareness: We view education and awareness as key catalysts for positive change. Our safaris include educational components where guests can opt to learn about gorilla and chimpanze behaviour, the importance of conservation, and the ecological significance of the region. We believe that informed visitors are more likely to become advocates for wildlife protection and environmental sustainability.
- Financial Contributions to Conservation: A percentage of every safari booking is dedicated to supporting gorilla conservation initiatives and local community projects through and 20% of the annual revenue to the communities around the parks through UWA. By channelling a portion of our profits back into the conservation efforts, we actively contribute to the long-term well-being of the gorillas and wildlife in their habitat.
- Constant Improvement and Adaptation: We regularly assess our sustainability practices, seeking feedback from guests, conservationists, and local communities. This feedback loop allows us to adapt our operations and implement improvements continually. We remain committed to staying at the forefront of sustainable tourism practices and to being a role model for others in the industry.
At Backwoods Gorilla Safaris, we firmly believe that sustainability is not just a buzzword but a moral imperative. Our commitment to responsible tourism practices ensures that future generations can continue to appreciate the wonders of the natural world and the awe-inspiring beauty of wildlife in their natural habitat. Together with our guests, partners, and stakeholders, we strive to create a future where wildlife thrives, and communities prosper in harmony with nature.